PMS Information Systems
Welcome to PMS Information Systems - IBM i (AS/400) Forum !!!

Get Answers for all your queries on IBM i (AS/400).

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PMS Information Systems
Welcome to PMS Information Systems - IBM i (AS/400) Forum !!!

Get Answers for all your queries on IBM i (AS/400).
PMS Information Systems
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Program Temporary Fix

Go down

program - Program Temporary Fix Empty Program Temporary Fix

Post  sivakumar Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:01 am

Program Temporary Fix

In IBM, a program temporary fix (PTF) is a temporary solution to a bug in an IBM software product that is made available for customers to install. A PTF is developed after a customer or someone at IBM encounters the problem and an authorized program analyis report (APAR) is written. The PTF effectively "closes" the APAR and then is made available for delivery to customers. PTFs can be applied individually but are usually made available as part of a fix package that includes a number of PTFs. A fix package can be distributed as one or more downloadable compressed files or on a CD-ROM.
Meanwhile, the PTFs are provided to the development group that is working on the next product release. The developers may or may not use the PTFs (since these are temporary fixes), but will determine and design the correct problem solution to incorporate in the next product release.

sivakumar

Back to top Go down

program - Program Temporary Fix Empty APAR - Authorized Program Analysis Report

Post  sivakumar Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:04 am

An APAR (authorized program analysis report) is a term used in IBM for a description of a problem with an IBM program that is formally tracked until a solution is provided. An APAR is created or "opened" after a customer (or sometimes IBM itself) discovers a problem that IBM determines is due to a bug in its code. The APAR is given a unique number for tracking and a target date for solution. When the support group that maintains the code solves the problem, it develops a program temporary fix (PTF) that, when applied, possibly with a SuperZap, will temporarily solve the problem for the customers that may be affected. The PTF will "close" the APAR. PTFs can be applied individually but are usually made available as part of a fix package that includes a number of PTFs. Meanwhile, the PTFs are provided to the development group that is working on the next product release. The developers may or may not use the PTFs (since these are temporary fixes), but will determine and design the correct problem solution to incorporate in the next product release.

sivakumar

Back to top Go down